NUIST-WMO Fellowships Education Program is a full scholarship program co-established by World Meteorological Organization (WMO) and Nanjing University of Information Science & Technology (NUIST) to encourage outstanding youth in developing countries to study and conduct research at NUIST in meteorological fields of master’s and doctoral levels.
I Supporting Categories, Duration, Instruction Language and Majors
1. Supporting Category
This program supports 10 graduate students for 2020 September Intake.
It supports master students for 2 academic years or doctoral students for no more than 4 academic years.
3. Instruction Language
Master Program: Meteorology (weather forecasting, climate oriented); Applied Meteorology (agriculture meteorology, ecology oriented).
Doctoral Programs: Meteorology, Climate System and Climate Change, Atmospheric Physics and Atmospheric Environment, Atmospheric Remote Sensing and Atmospheric Sounding, Lighting Science and Technology, Applied Meteorology, Marine Meteorology, 3S Integration and Meteorological Application, Space Weather.
II Scholarship Coverage
It is a full scholarship which covers tuition fee, accommodation, comprehensive medical insurance and stipend. WMO covers a round-trip ticket and international medical insurance not provided by nomination Services.
III Where and When to Apply
Where to Apply
You should apply to NUIST and WMO Secretariat.
When to Apply
You need to apply between November 2019 till February 29, 2020.
1. Applicants must be a citizen of a country other than the People’s Republic of China, be friendly to China and in good health.
2. Applicants must abide by the laws and decrees of the Chinese government and meet the requirements of admission to NUIST.
3. Applicants should have an active learning attitude and a competitive academic record (CGPA 3.0 or above out of 4).
4. The requirements for applicants’ degree and age are that applicants must:
-be a bachelor’s degree holder under the age of 36 on September 1, 2020 to apply for the master’s program.
-be a master’s degree holder under the age of 41 on September 1, 2020 to apply for doctoral programs.
5. Applicants shall not be beneficiaries of any other scholarships of Chinese government at the time of application.
V Application Procedure
Step 1– Get nomination from the Permanent Representative of the country with WMO with a completed Fellowship Nomination Form (FNF) (https://www.wmo.int/pages/prog/dra/etrp/documents/Fellowship-Nomination-Form-en.pdf).
Step 2–Apply to NUIST for the Pre-admission Letter by completing the online application at NUIST’s online application system (https://nuist.17gz.org/member/login.do). Please submit your application documents and WMO FNF in the system.
Note: Please start your application by choosing “NUIST-WMO Scholarship”.
Step 3– Apply to WMO Secretariat for NUIST-WMO Fellowship opportunity by submitting your application documents, WMO FNF and NUIST pre-admission letter to WMO Secretariat before the deadline.
VI Application Documents
1. The copy of passport photo page;
2. The notarized highest diploma;
Prospective degree recipients shall provide an official pre-graduation certificate showing their student status and stating expected graduation date and later submit the degree certificate to NUIST after admission. Documents in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized Chinese or English translations.
3. Academic transcripts;
Transcripts in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized Chinese or English translations.
4. Recommendation letters;
Two recommendation letters signed by a professor or an associate professor. Professors’ signature, contact phone number and email address must be put on the letter.
5. Applicants for doctoral programs must submit an acceptance letter signed by doctoral supervisor from NUIST;
The acceptance form can be downloaded from
6. A study plan or research proposal with a minimum of 800 words;
7. Published academic papers or other academic achievements (if any);
8. The copy of TOEFL (80 or above) or IELTS (6.0 or above) Certificate (only for applicants from non-English speaking countries );
9. Foreigner Physical Examination Form (photocopy), (in English, can be downloaded from https://gjy.nuist.edu.cn/english/DownloadforAdmission/list.htm);
The physical examinations must cover all of the items listed in the Foreigner Physical Examination Form. Incomplete forms or forms without the signature of the attending physician, or the official stamp of the hospital, or a sealed photograph of the applicant are considered as invalid. Please carefully plan your physical examination schedule as the result is valid for only 6 months.
10. WMO FNF;
11. Other supporting materials (if available, such as certificates of awards and training, etc.).
VII Placement & Scholarship Confirmation
1. Application documents of candidates will be considered by WMO for eligibility and qualification. Qualified applications will be sent to NUIST for placement.
2. NUIST will review application documents and admit qualified applicants. Based on the university’s teaching capacity and applicants’ criteria, NUIST reserves the right to make necessary adjustments/changes to the field of study.
3. NUIST will send the admission documents (List of Scholarship Recipients, Admission Letter and Visa Application Form for Study in China (JW202)) to WMO Secretariat before July 1. WMO Secretariat will send the admission documents to the scholarship recipients.
4. Scholarship recipients shall not change their field of study or duration of study unless they give up the grant.
5. Scholarship recipients shall attend the annual review according to NUIST’s Measures on Annual Review of Government Scholarships.
6. Scholarship will not be reserved if scholarship recipient cannot register before the registration deadline.
VIII Contact Information of WMO Secretariat
Education and Fellowships Division
Development and Regional Activities Department
World Meteorological Organization (WMO)
Address: 7 bis, Avenue de la Paix, Case postale 2300, CH 1211 Geneva 2, Switzerland.
Tel: +41 22 730 8156
Fax: +41 22 730 8181
IX Contact Information of NUIST
Admission Office, College of International Students
Nanjing University of Information Science & Technology, CHINA
Address: 219 Ningliu Road, Nanjing, Jiangsu Province, P.R.C., 210044