The regulations are formulated for the purpose of strengthening the cultivation work and improving the cultivation quality of international master students on the basis of Regulations on Academic Degrees of the People’s Republic of China, Interim Measures on the Regulations on Academic Degrees of the People’s Republic of China, Regulations on Master’s and Doctoral Degrees Conferment, relevant documents on cultivating international master and PHD students issued by the State Education Committee and the specific situations of the university.
I. Cultivation Objectives
1. To observe laws and regulations, to cultivate good virtues and to form a rigorous style of study.
2. To master the solid fundamental theories and the systematic expertise of the discipline; to have the ability to do independent scientific researches and make innovative achievements in science and technology.
3. To build a strong body.
II. Study Duration
The study duration for masters is two years.
International students can apply to extend the study duration in consideration of the need of research in the university and shall pay tuition and accommodation fees during the extended study period, and the longest time for study is five years. The application should firstly be approved by the supervisor and the school, and then approved by the Graduate School and kept as a record by College of International Students. If international students are able to finish their study ahead of time, they can graduate half a year earlier with the approval of the Graduate School and College of International Students.
III. Cultivation Method
The cultivation of international master students is implemented by the tutorial system. The team of instructors can assist to guide students according to the needs of the cultivation.
Within one year since the date of entry, master students can apply for changing the supervisor if the selected topic is not in accordance with the supervisor’s research orientation. The application shall be firstly approved with the signatures from both the original supervisor and the new supervisor and then ratified by the Graduate School. Students are not allowed to change the supervisor one year after the date of entry.
IV. Cultivation Program and Plan
The disciplines and majors that enroll international master students shall stipulate the cultivation program for them. It includes: (1) study orientation; (2) requirement of credits; (3) curriculum; (4) required part.
The cultivation program should be stipulated by the sub-committee of the academic degree evaluation and approved and executed by the Graduate School.
The personal cultivation plan should be stipulated by students themselves under the guide of the supervisor according to the cultivation program of the major. It includes: (1) study orientation; (2) courses and subjects in study plan and the schedule; (3) academic activities and practices; (4) tentative dissertation topic. The plan shall be ratified by the dean of the school to which the students are affiliated and submitted to the Graduate School for the record within three months since the date of entry.
V. Requirement of Credits for Master’s Degree
Students shall get at least 32 credits, including:
1. at least 28 course credits, which include 16 credits for degree courses and the rest for elective courses
2. two credits for dissertation proposal
3. two credits for academic activities and practices
VI. Curriculum Study
The public courses and the specialized courses for international master students are as follows:
Course Name Course Nature Credit
China Overview Degree course 4
Basic Chinese Degree course 3
Specialized Courses Degree courses 10-12
Other Elective Courses Elective courses 10-12
VII. Curriculum Management
The management of the curriculum of international master students is implemented with reference to The Provisional Management Measures concerning Teaching and Teaching Affairs of Postgraduates in NUIST.
VIII. Required Part
1. Dissertation Proposal
International master students shall work on the dissertation independently under the guide of the supervisor. Students should read and defend the dissertation proposal in front of the audit group that consists of three to five professors or associate professors. Specialists from other units are welcome to work as members of the audit group. Afterwards, the audit group shall propose the resolution of revision or pass. The revision should be completed within two months and a written report should be submitted to the audit group. No defense is needed anymore.
2. Academic Activities
International master students shall attend at least three academic activities during the work on the dissertation, including academic lectures, academic conferences, teaching competitions and scientific and technological competitions on campus or out of campus. Students shall fill in The Record of Academic Activities of NUIST Postgraduates and receive the credit after the supervisor’s verification.
1. The whole dissertation or part of it shall reach the level of publication in international or domestic core journals. International master students are encouraged to publish academic papers in published journals during the study at NUIST with the student being the first author or the supervisor being the first author and the student the second.
2. Master students shall attend the medium-term inspection at the beginning of the third semester. Those who fail in the inspection cannot apply for the dissertation defense.
3. The dissertation format refers to The Format of NUIST Postgraduates’ Dissertation.
4. The dissertation and its defense can be done in Chinese or English. If the dissertation is written in English, its abstract must be in Chinese.
5. Other details of the dissertation are the same as Chinese students.
X. Schedule of Cultivation
1. The supervisor and the students stipulate the cultivation plan within two weeks since the date of entry.
2. Finish all the courses and get requested credits in the first and second semesters.
3. Finish the medium inspection at the beginning of the third semester.
4. Finish the topic selection and the dissertation proposal before the end of the third semester.
5. Finish the dissertation defense in the fourth semester.
The university shall grant international students the degree certificate uniformly printed by the office of the Academic Degrees Committee of the State Council, including the degree certificate in Chinese and its translation version in English. The degree certificate and the graduation certificate of international students and Chinese students are equally authentic.